Sunday, July 8, 2012

Music Land- facebook artistry, guitar shop, music for 5 year olds, new recording and a custom Stratocaster

In that order...

1)Here's my Facebook artist page:
http://www.facebook.com/joshuasheltonguitar

2) After teaching guitar lessons for the past 9 months at The B String (http://www.bstringguitars.com/) in downtown Winston-Salem's Arts District, I'm going to work there full time.  I'll do a combination of teaching lessons (guitar, ukulele, bass guitar, clawhammer banjo, lap dulcimer, etc), manning the shop, maintaining the shop's online presence via Facebook and Gbase (for gear selling purposes), and beginning an unofficial apprenticeship in the world of guitar maintenance.  It'll also put me in the thick of Winston's music and arts scene, and I'm hoping to have my rock and roll trio (working title: Josh Shelton and the Primordial Ooohs) going by early this fall.

3) Just finished my first ever week as an Orff music teacher at Camp Oonie Koonie Cha (campooniekooniecha.com).  I know it sounds like a college fraternity but really it's a music camp for 4-7 year olds based on the Orff model (Charles Orff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Orff).  Basically kids sing and use body motions to reinforce the words and melodies, and play lots of fun instruments.  It was Jungle Week so we sang lots of songs about monkeys, crocodiles and whatnot.  It was a pleasure. 

4) In AWESOME news I've been approached by a studio in town regarding a new recording.  The focus will be getting a great recording of two or three of my best songs to send to some hefty music folk in New York and Nashville.  We'll see what happens with the songs and whether a full album will be forthcoming.

5) Stay tuned for pictures of my beautiful custom Stratocaster electric guitar, a work in progress.  Just saw the cocabola fretboard last night; it's breathtaking.  Never knew rock n' roll could be so pretty.




2 comments:

  1. You'll have to share some of that croc music with me...I bet Megan would love it! Do you happen to have a recording or song titles at least? I love the band name, and congrats on your recording opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! You can look up Bongo Bunkee (about a monkey), that's a good one. The band name is actually a joke name I came up with at camp. Other songs include "In the jungle at the hour of midnight,"... can't think of any more right now. If I think of them I'll send them by email. You may find mroe by googling "Musicare."

      Delete